Re: [MV] MVPA election facts

islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:22:06 -0400

Hi David,

>SO, HERE ARE THE FACTS on how to do things, either pay your dues, and follow
>the procedure for change, or be quite about it and accept whatever comes
>your way.

Thanks for the .02 cents. The last bit, about seeking a petition, holds
some promise. So far you are the first to offer up any internal
mechanism for instituting change within the MVPA, without the direct
blessing of the very people who have caused this mess. So far it has
looked as if there was NO internal vehicle to override the Board (i.e.
some board members can't be voted out, a write-in would be invalidated,
etc.). So although a petition is always a hard thing to get done, the
avenue does appear to exist. I'd be interested to hear what Mr. Gilmore
thinks about this option.

>But, remember, if your not part of the solution, you are part of the
>problem.

I still fundamentally disagree with this. Being on the outside, applying
pressure, can be a part of the solution. Membership alone is not the
deciding factor as someone can have membership and actually be a part of
the problem. The only qualification I think there is for being a part of
the solution is "carrying to make a difference". Not sure if I can make
a difference, but in own limited way I am trying. However, if I think
that I can help make change from the inside, then obviously that is the
better place to be.

I'm still on the fence about joining the organization on principle alone,
but you have given me one more reason to hop aboard. I still don't have
respect for the MVPA leadership over this issue, and apparently others
(previous election and losing chapters), but if joining gives me a real
voice for changing this... then I join.

Oh well, another of my 2 bits...

Steve