[MV] Auto-railer stuff

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:57:53 +0200

>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:53:36 +0200
>To: <mil-vhe@skylee.com> (Gordon.W.I. McMillan)
>From: "Raimondo L. Torelli" <thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it>
>Subject: Re: [MV] Auto-railer stuff
>
>At 09.10 24/07/99 +0100, GORDON wrote:
>>
>>I was having another look through Fred Crismon's excellent "US
Military>Wheeled Vehicles" the other day when i noticed the number of
pictures>featuring Evans Auto-railer equipment, basically drop down railway
wheels>that kept a vehicle on railway tracks (or railroad tracks to you
across>the pond)

>>I've seen Buzz Mueller's homepage where he shows railroad wheels on
a>jeep, but does anyone on the list have any knowledge of US Army
vehicles>with original Auto-railler equipment ? or is it a case of a very
limited>number of vehicles so equipped being over-represented in fred's book /

>>Just curious
>>
>>(but there is a privately owned stretch of track near me )
>>
>>Gordon, Falkirk, Scotland.
>
>July 26 1999

Hi Gordon!
As a fan of military railroads (everything military on rails from r.r.
cannons to hospital trains including M.V., aargh! sorry, Historic Military
Vehicles...) I have collected many pictures from various books, magazines,
etc. of Jeeps on rails (also GMC 6x6 CCKW in England and here in Italy).
Two different type of rail wheels were used. They are actual combat photos
not photos made in the Manufacturing Establishments producing/modifying them.
I do not know how many of them (Jeeps) have been modified, I know that they
were used in France, Italy, Australia/Asiatic theatre of operations.
I do not have any picture of (sorry!) Dodge WC on rails. I have never
found one in my books, publications, etc.
If you go to
http://phaedra.apana.org.au/pictures/misc/trel3.jpg
you may see 4 rail wheels (used in Burma by the Australians) preserved in
the Australian War Museum.
Regards
Raimondo - M.V.P.A.