Re: Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): [MV] Auto-railer stuff

Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:25:49 -0500

At 15:46 27/07/99 +0100, Gordon.W.I. McMillan wrote:
>Hmmm, I didn't really think they were that popular. I suppose the regular
>locomotive units got trashed quite early on in these conficts.

The primary aim was not to replace locomotives, but to provide patrolling
capacity on the railway line; it also allowed the use of the railway line
as a roadway (remember the state of the roads un the Russian winters for
instance).

The light weight of a Jeep or a k=FCbel would have made it completely
unsuitable for hauling railway stock ( Just imagine having to brake just
one waggon =3D a 30 tons load at even 30 mph with your jeep brakes ;-)

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, in Darkest Paraguay.

Silence is not always golden,
sometimes it is plain yellow.