Re: [MV] CCKW Engine Glow

T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:57:32

Hope this is helpful:

At 11:47 PM 7/27/99 -0700, Juan Gonzalez wrote:
>Would a leak at the manifold gasket at that location cause the exhaust
>manifold glowing?

>>check timing and then compression on that engine - something is bad wrong
>>check compression on all cylinders - could have bad valve on #4

Definitely that!

My experience has been with the DUKW version of the 270 6 cylinder.
I found that the exhaust manifold does run hot. In low compression engines,
6.75:1,
more of the heat is ejected out the exhaust then is converted to real work
so the manifolds do get hotter.

As to why the bad valve, if this is indeed what you find, is the heat riser
valve
froze open. This supplies exhaust heat to the intake manifold, preheater.
You want
it closed during warmer weather.

Also, I found in my cases, the carbeuration was way to lean. The engine
actually
ran better with the choke slightly closed. Later, a CO2 gas analyzer,
confirmed this.
At the time, a could not obtain a carb kit for the Zeniths, so I
substituted rejetted M715 Holleys. I meet several individuals with the same
hot exhaust manifold concern
over the years, and I have always wondered if this was a common occurance with
the 270, and if so, were they burning to lean?

I'm assuming in all this that the usual checks: timing, automatic advance,
intake vacuum leaks, etc have been done.

Good luck Juan,

Ted Hintopoulos,
MVPA 1705 (Damn, I hope the organization doesn't break up.
We need to stick together,
more so now then in the past.)