Re: [MV] I survived Beltring

NIGEL HAY (Nigelhay@tanksrus.freeserve.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:02:21 +0100

We appreciate the efort people make to visit the show from overseas and hope
in 2000 to get a better deal on the ferries for you.

Just to clarify, the bar prices at the show are if anything slightly less
than prices in most UK pubs.
(Without being personal to Andreas and his fellow Germans at least our beer
is drinkable and not mainly froth!!! Thats enough said on that one!)
Check out the photos on www.milweb.net and www.warandpeace.uk.com

See you all in Y2K
Nige

----- Original Message -----
From: Andreas Mehlhorn <a.mehlhorn@t-online.de>
To: <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 1:27 PM
Subject: [MV] I survived Beltring

After 13 hours on the Autobahn and a stormy Channel crossing we are
home back from Beltring.

It was a big event and worth to see. I had a ride on a Scorpion tank
(thanks to Karl) and a drive on a Kettenkrad (thanks to Graham).
And a really good time with Doug and Richard and David and Rory
and Tim and and and...

This was my third trip to Beltring and it was like every year:
Hot, dry, dusty and expensive. We stayed on a camping site north of
Beltring and on Saturday we jumped into the swimming pool to cool down
and wash off the dust of Beltring.

There was not only a lack of water. Beer and cider was very expensive,
too. 1 pint (a little bit more than 1/2 litre) beer or cider costed
£ 2 (=more than DM 6!) on the site.

I can highly recommend to use a well equipped camping site or if you
really want to stay on the event site, a modern caravan with its own
shower and toilet (and a big water tank). Camping with an old caravan
or a tent on the event site is a good training for candidates for the
Long Range Desert Group or the Afrikakorps.

Next year Beltring will be five days. The Millenium event. More vehicles,
more days, more people. And again only 30ish DIXI-toilets and one shower???

I'll be there, but not camping on the event site.

I hope in a few days I can give you a complete report of the Beltring
event on my Kettenkrad homepage.

Best regards
Andreas