Re: [MV] MVPA election facts

DDoyle9570@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:32:43 EDT

Todd,

I also said:
>Guys, there are provisons for this in place, how about using them instead of
>spending time and energy bi..in'?

I do not by any means believe the Bylaws to be infallible, but they are the
Bylaws. Like any other set of rules, than need to be "living",able to change
as the times and needs of the membership shange. Inherently, there must be a
process for change. I do defend the need for this process.
ANY change needs to be at the behest of the majority of the membership,
(unfortunately, the MVPA membership, much like the US population in general,
is indifferent to voting) rather than by a small clique, be that clique the
officers in place, or disgruntled members (and I am not saying that that is
the case here, I am using that as an example, more examples: should be WWII
vehicles only, should be US vehicles only, should be Army vehicles only, all
kinds of SIG out there.)

If the membership wants the bylaws to change by all means lets change them,
there are some changes I'd like to see made myself. BUT I will not support a
situation, where you, Todd, me, and the 20 or so people I have heard from on
this list can make the other 8000 or so members of the MVPA pay for a special
mailing and change to the Bylaws. That is not fair to the other members,
however, if a petition drive were to show us and that there was widespread
support amongst the rank & file for whatever change we wanted to make, then
it is also reasonable to assume we could raise the bond.

Good, bad or otherwise, we have bylaws, they should be changed or followed.

You may not agree with the 30 MPH speed limit in front of your house, but you
probably don't make a practice of driving 60 there.

Again, there is procedure in place to change bylaws, why not use it?

The alternative I suppose would be execute the current board, burn the HQ,
and confisicate membership cards fromthose who don't agree with us, but that
is not how things are normally done around where I live.

Thanks,
David