[MV] MV Trail Ride and MVPA election facts

DDoyle9570@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:49:58 EDT

There was recently was a MV trail ride. On the way back to camp for supper,
there were a couple of groups that had trouble. There were a few guys in a
M715 that became mired, as did the fellows in a M37. Both drove off into
deep mud and became stuck.

One of the fellows in the M715 berated the driver for the route he took,
another criticied the designer of the M715. Another complained about the
rain the day before, and yet another faulted the NDCC tread tires. The
driver faulted Big Fred, saying his 400 lbs was to blame.

While these guys were complaining about the situation, the M37 approached the
crossing, and they to become stuck. One passenger got out the pioneer tools
and broke down the wall off mud in front of the tires, another afixed the
winch cable to a tree, and the other two got behind and pushed. Working
together soon they had the M37 free and the occupants were back at camp
enjoying the meal, and discussing what a wonderful hobby this is. I think
the guys in the 715 are still stuck, still placing blame, and not enjoying
the hobby.

Todd, you said to me:
"You
sound like you are offended by freedom of speech and cannot accept other
people's view points. Something is wrong with the process of elections in
the MVPA. You cannot expect members to blindly accept that Jim can run in
last year's election and be approved by the Board. He then questions what
he sees as irregularities. Then this year he is NOT FIT to run for
election. Come on now! "

I definately think freedom of speech is good, and while I may not agreee with
a view, it is hard to offend me short of outright rudeness. I do, however,
think that this subject has been discussed at length, at least on this list.
If we, you, I, anyone would like to change any of the processes, bylaws,
etc., let us put that ball in motion....act, rather than discuss!!

Bein' as how the Bylaws are the Bylaws, the only way to change them is
through the proper procedures. OK, something needs to change, NOTHING WILL
CHANGE through our discussion, only ACTION within the procedures can bring
about any change.

Discussion is fine in the beginning, but discussion alone won't accomplish
anything. For action, eventually a plan must form, and be implemented.
I think you have forgotten that I said:

IF YOU THINK THIS POLICY SHOULD CHANGE, READ ON...

>I further quote....
>
>Section 4.2.3, Section 4.3 "...(iii) must possess skills, experience, or
>expertise which will benefit the Association and/or the Board of Directors.
>Such skills, experience or expertise will be judged by the Nominating
>Committee,....."
>
>Right or wrong, this is in the bylaws, and with this little gem you can
>legitmately keep any one off ballot if you were so inclined. IF YOU WANT TO
>CHANGE THIS< READ ON!!

I desire to silence no ones freedom of speech, but I fear that this list may
become a sounding board for those who would complain, but not actually try to
anything to change that which they complain about.

I was in a club once, where a member complained loudly and longly for years
about the newsletter. Frequency, style, content, cost, nothing suited him,
some one else could always do better, cheaper, more interesting, timely, etc.
We made him newsletter editor.....he never put out a single issue.

If there is to be change, there needs to be plan.
A clearly stated objective....changing this and such particular article or
articles of the bylaws to read in this and such new specific manner.
There needs to be a plan, will this be presented to members by convincing
three board members to put it on a ballot, or will a petition drive be
neccessary?
Who will co-ordinate this effort?
What is the targetted timetable? If petition, what multiple large-draw MV
events will be coming up within a 60 day window of each other?
If petition, who will man booth each event to circulate petition and validate
signatures?
Who will contact each MVPA chapter regarding proposed change(s) with a
petition?
Who will do the accounting of donations toward the bond?

In my opinion, the above is what the discussion now should be about, rather
than simply restating that there is something wrong and it should be changed.

Another .02 (and at this rate I'll be broke soon!)
David Doyle