Re: [MV] MV Trail Ride and MVPA election facts

Katie Ferencz (drw-fan@home.com)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:32:49 -0400

I just talked to Jim Gilmore regarding this tonight. He is still pursuing
this issue with the MVPA. I have heard that any ballots with a write-
in vote dis-qualifies the WHOLE ballot. I don't know if this is from
the by-laws or not, or if it is even addressed in the by-laws....

When Mr. Holland called me last month, he told me that there would
be a letter drafted and sent to Mr. Gilmore explaining the "cause"
that prevented him from running for the Board. Jim read to me the
letter that he got from the MVPA (he is going to post it here in the
next day or two). It was basically the same kind of letter that was
posted on the MVPA's web site (which sounded kinda lawyer-
ish...hmmmm), which basically, said nothing. I want to know why I
was told that the MVPA would tell Mr. Gilmore what the reason was,
but they still haven't done that. I know there has been a lot of talk
here about the by-laws recently, and that they need to be changed, I
agree with that, but I also think that the current by-laws were not
followed in the election process so far. Jim meets the qualifications
that are required to run for a Board position (refer to the end of his
post on July 10). These qualifications are spelled out in the by-laws.
There must be another reason they are not telling him. So what
could this reason be? If it is a reasonable one, then why not tell
him?

The only word we have heard from the MVPA is that letter on their
web site. Which said absolutely nothing. Why are they being so
silent? Jim has a valid question, I want to know why our Board of
Directors won't answer him. It does not look good on their part. Are
they hiding something????

I don't recall if it was mentioned before, but the 2 who voted against
the nominating committee's recommendation were Frank Buck and
Garrick Smith, from what I understand their "no" votes were
because Jim Gilmore's name was not on the list of candidates
received from the nominating committee. They both are running for
re-election. The way the election works is the candidates' with the
highest votes gets elected to the board, so in essence, a vote for
any of the other candidates would be a vote against these 2.

I have stated this before, I certainly DO NOT want to start any new
organization. The MVPA is a great organization, I am proud to be a
member. I am questioning the Board's actions on this matter. In
speaking to Jim Gilmore, it sounds like maybe the Board made a
mistake and they are trying to cover themselves now. I think the
smartest thing the Board can do now is to re-evaluate the situation
and do what is necessary to correct the problem.

Regards,
Katie Ferencz

> I do, however,
> think that this subject has been discussed at length, at least on this list.
> If we, you, I, anyone would like to change any of the processes, bylaws,
> etc., let us put that ball in motion....act, rather than discuss!!
>
> Bein' as how the Bylaws are the Bylaws, the only way to change them is
> through the proper procedures. OK, something needs to change, NOTHING WILL
> CHANGE through our discussion, only ACTION within the procedures can bring
> about any change.
>
> Discussion is fine in the beginning, but discussion alone won't accomplish
> anything. For action, eventually a plan must form, and be implemented.

WAY TO GO WINGS...1997 & 1998 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!