Re: [MV] Four Wheel Drive Problem

DP Dusenbury (dp@interpath.com)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:41:57 -0400

Sounds like you are getting the drivetrain in a bind by running in 4wd
over hard surfaces. In 4wd, there is no differential action between the
front and rear axles (in the transfer case), and since when turning the
front and rear wheels follow diffenent tracks and spin at different
rates, the tires must be able to slip a little bit to release this
wind-up.

Even hardpacked dirt can 'stick' good enough to not allow tire
slippage. In sand and mud, you probably will not have this problem.

If you are experiencing this binding, you are possibly (likely) causing
excess wear within gear mating surfaces.

Rather than jack up a wheel, you can usually go fwd and back a few times
with wheels straight ahead, and it will free up. This works on my
little Jeep.

DP

--