Re: UNCLAS//N11240//Re: [MV] Import/MV's

Glenn Goodman (GGOODMAN@novell.com)
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 17:09:49 -0600

Pardon me for jumping in here. Bear with me and you will understand my =
overall point as it relates to MVs.
It is my opinion that there are people and groups in the world that desire =
control over the masses. You've probably heard different theories and =
some of them are pretty far out. I don't want to get in deep on that, but =
it is going on. My opinion is that if a person or small group can wrest a =
right or privilege from the people, or add to their burden of taxes or =
requirements, then that person or group has control over that aspect of =
our lives. Take gun control, for example. It's a very emotional issue. =
There are people that understand that and are using this knowledge to get =
guns out of the hands of the general populace. Then they have that much =
more control over the general populace. And they will use well meaning =
people to push their agenda. My mother thought gun control was nice, till =
I got her thinking about it logically, rather than emotionally. Bad guys =
will find the guns, no matter what. Why take away the ability for the =
average person to defend themselves?
This is prevalent in almost every area of our lives. Seat belts, air =
bags, power brakes (Aussies will understand the reference, I'll explain =
below), furs, taxes, etc., etc. Some group or government agency wants to =
take something away.
Not only does the BATF want jurisdiction over this type of activity they =
also want to allow their inspectors to carry side-arms. By the way, the =
government does not believe that there are intelligent people, except =
those in government.
I was on another list dealing with Classic Jeeps, which included military =
and civilian, and restorations. One of the Aussies on the list explained =
to us that for vehicle inspections Down Under they are required to pass a =
braking test on a skid plate of some type. Help me out if I don't get =
this exactly correct. The test measures distance to stop and pressure on =
the pedal. If certain limits were exceeded then the vehicle did not pass. =
In essence, your faithful restoration is nothing but a museum piece, =
since most times older vehicles would not pass these tests. "Oh, but it's =
for your safety and the safety of others on the road." I'll bet the ratio =
of accidents in new vehicles far exceeds older vehicles. I drive my '53 =
M38A1 differently than I drive my '90 GMC Suburban. So much for that =
theory.
Why does the government require jeeps to be destroyed, rather than let =
them be surplused? Someone decided they were too dangerous for the =
general public. Same thing happened with postal jeeps. And who knows =
what else?
In my area they do a physical inspection of the smog equipment and if =
anything is missing they won't even connect the test instruments. Even if =
it can pass. Someone local has to "repair" it first. Nowhere else in the =
state is this required. Someone had a bright idea there.
There is a group trying to outlaw SUVs. Another trying to outlaw tractor =
trailers. The list goes on. I know there are people that feel that =
military vehicles belong in the military. They are just too "scary". I =
know, I've run into them. So they bend some ears and government sees =
another area to control.
I apologize to anyone that takes offense, but we can't afford to be too =
politically correct. I don't believe in being militant, but I do believe =
we should use every legal means to preserve our rights and privileges. =
This would include lobbying, letter campaigns and any other method anyone =
can think of to be heard. If we don't, we will lose what we have. MVPA =
doesn't need to be aligned with any other group. They are their own group =
and should be furthering their own interests. How does government know =
how you feel and think if the voices of opposition are overwhelming? =
Perhaps it is time to be heard. Perhaps the MVPA board should get a bit =
more involved in "policy". Perhaps we can just quietly and merrily watch =
our hobby/livelihood be squelched.
'Nuff said? Sorry to take up so much time and space, but I'm personally =
tired of letting things slide just so I don't make waves. Please flame me =
off-line if you have the desire. Keep the list clean.

>>> "Antoine Compin" <acompin@earthlink.net> 08/05/99 01:40PM >>>
Hi Jack, and fellow listers,

I want to thank you, Jack for the "inside" information
concerning the legal travails around the State Department vs.
BATF about the "Form 6".

However, as I read your comments, I cringe when I read
generalizations concerning the "dovish" Democrats, the Clinton
Administration, the NRA, the theft of national secrets, the gays
in the military etc.... None of that belongs here, and
expressing these views is downright dangerous, as it fosters in
the "non-milveh-collector" reader's mind the notion that we ALL
are right-wingers, and ALSO a bunch of gun-toting crazies that
should be deprived of their toys... Well, it's a free country
and probably some of us are just that, but it would be
irresponsible to associate the entire MVPA membership of this
club to "a fringe element, a radical right wing militia group
bent on owning tanks".

I am convinced that restoring and owning Military Vehicles has
nothing, but NOTHING to do with the right to bear arms. I
believe that associationg ourselves AS A GROUP, OR CLUB with the
politics of the NRA is dangerous and irresponsible: the option
to support or not the NRA lobbying efforts is best left to the
individual in the membership, acting personally.

I, personally, favor some sort of reasonable gun control, as
opposed to the intransigeant and alienating demands of the NRA.
That does not get in the way of my collecting mil-vehs at all. I
am a Democrat also: that does not mean I get in a tizzy every
time I see olive-drab...MANY European MVPA club members would
probably also share the view that military firearms and military
vehicles are strange bedfellows.

Finally, "How can any intelligent, informed citizen honestly
expect" to believe that the Form-6 related difficulties within
the BATF are anything more than pure administrative gridlock?
Look at our numbers... The administration has a lot bigger fish
to fry than to deal with us collectors of military vehicles.

Antoine Compin

1943 Willys MB & '44 MBT
1942 Harley WLA
1942 Harley XA (two)