[MV] Re:Roadworthiness(was all sorts of things)

Roger and Marie Roy (rroy@netspeed.com.au)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:18:42 +1000

Hi Guys,
A couple of comments from Australia:

Antoine Compin wrote:

> Now, back on-topic: Re: Roadworthiness tests for Mil-Vehs: in most, if
> not all of the countries that I know of, the "collector" or "Historical
> Status" of a vehicle can dispense from a full-fledged DOT-type

Yes this is true in Australia, but it is for "Club" registration, which
means you can only use the vehicle for club events or to drive it within
10K's for repairs or a test drive. However this is changing to a full
test in some states, including (soon) emissions testing! (about 4 months
ago I was deemed competent at carrying out registration checks in
Canberra so I'm fairly up to date). Full registration is possible but
you
may have to fit different brake lights , indicators etc. The biggest
problem is these things are not in "the book" which causes headaches
with
"modern" vehicle inspectors who have never seen things like vacuum
wipers
(try turning them on with the engine off which is how they were tested
"by the book" in the A.C.T at one time)

> which would mean conformity with current road rules

again yes, but I wouldn't drive my Studebaker far with just hand signals
(mine has direction indicators hidden on it) and the black out tail
lights as it would not be safe with "modern" drivers whose hand signals
are a bit different

> "collector's vehicle" status. In France it's 25 years.

Australia is 30 and left hand drive ok if in original condition

> I would be surprised if OZ did'nt have such a system in place.

yep but just like "those" laws they change at the drop of a hat , and
never for the better, all it takes is one idiot ......

> Incidentally, in France, MB's and GPW's properly maintained WILL pass
> the braking, horn and steering tests, but not the service lights tests
> without the addition of turn signals and parking lights. Some test
> centers will even accept a metal reflectorized triangle to place on the
> road in lieu of the Hazard warning lights.My Jeep MB and trailer have a
> "normal" registration and a minimal alteration of the black-out lights
> for turn signals. the parking lights I put on for the test every two
> years, and I remove after ;)... Many Western European countries have
> similar systems in place.

In New South Wales there is a section of the relevant Dept. that you can
contact if your antique vehicle can't pass the relevant tests and you
may
get a exemption . For example Carbide lights do not put out enough light
to pass a roadworthy and Vintage braking systems are not always powerful
enough to pass (I know vintage Buick will, Model T with rear only
probably wouldn't).

Roger ROY
Australia
MVPA 13150
Studebaker 6x6
42 GPW
Harley Davidson chain breaker tool (no bike yet)