Re: UNCLAS//N11240//Re: [MV] Import/MV's

Glenn Goodman (GGOODMAN@novell.com)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:19:26 -0600

This probably should be off list, but I think it has a direct bearing on =
what we are dealing with. You say, "Yes, I would be in favor of limiting =
the privileges of a few if it benefits all the rest of the people." What =
are the limits, who are the few? You say that gun control will keep =
people from being killed. Yes, it could save a few lives. But what is =
going to happen when someone figures out that drugs and alcohol kill more =
people every year than guns? Oh yeah, they already figured that out. Is =
alcohol illegal? To some people. Does it stop them from getting and =
using it? Not if they want to. Are drugs illegal? In many countries. =
Has the war on drugs hindered the use and abuse? No. Oh, and what about =
automobiles? More people, particularly children, are killed in auto =
accidents every year than are killed by guns. When they figure this out =
someone will be calling for outlawing automobiles. Think I'm crazy? It's =
happening already. Have you checked up on Al Gore's agenda? Once they =
take away one thing that can be "potentially dangerous" then they can take =
away more. If you check your history you will find that governments don't =
generally give, they take. So where is the line drawn?
It seems to me that we are trying to "avoid" problems rather than face =
them head on. Rather than take away everyone's _(fill in the blank with =
anything)__, why not have tough laws for people that use _________________ =
for criminal activity? Oh yeah, there are some tough laws. Well, why not =
enforce those laws that are already in place, rather than penalize =
everyone but the criminal? That I don't know.

What I'm trying to say is, someone has already decided that there should =
be limits and restrictions on what and how we can acquire MV related =
items. I'm already feeling the crunch of parts scarcity. Has anyone ever =
acquired MV related items for criminal activity? Possibly, there is the =
potential. So now they clamp down so as to avoid those situations and who =
pays? We do. I don't like it and I'll bet nobody else on the list does =
either. I think the MVPA is in a position to make themselves heard and =
make a difference. Will they do it? It seems to me they are keeping a =
low profile, taking your money and not giving much in return, by keeping =
those people that might do something out of important positions, with no =
explanation. I could be wrong but if that's how it seems to me I imagine =
others see it that way as well. Perception is everything.

Sorry again, guys, for throwing in so much seemingly unrelated stuff here, =
but if we develop tunnel vision we're going to get blindsided.

>>> "Antoine Compin" <acompin@earthlink.net> 08/05/99 06:50PM >>>
Ok, this one last time... After this I think we should
collectively burn the soap box or take it off-line. There is no
need to flame anyone here...

Yes, I would be in favor of limiting the privileges of a few if
it benefits all the rest of the people. Gun control is indeed an
emotional issue, but looking at it logically works on both
sides of the fence:
There is nothing wrong with taking guns away from deranged
people, "pedigreed" people, teenagers and would-be killers from
hate groups... this would lower the risks of mass shootings by
unstable and disgruntled people, accidental shootings by
youngsters, and to some extent shootings stemming from escalated
domestic disputes. In many, MANY cases of dispute, a life so
easily taken by just squeezing a trigger would not have been
taken if the perpetrator had to use bare hands or even a knife.
There is nothing wrong and nothing to fear from a thorough
background check, if you are truly a "law-abiding citizen".
There is nothing wrong in having a licensed gun or two (or more)
if indeed there is nothing wrong with you. Keeping your kids
safely away from your loaded guns is just as important as
training them in their use.
And yes, the sale of modern assault-type weapons should be
restricted to assault-professionals, like Police and the
Military.
And yes, criminals will always find guns, that's a fact of life,
anywhere in the world. That's all for the off-topic stuff...

Now, back on-topic:
Re: Roadworthiness tests for Mil-Vehs: in most, if not all of
the countries that I know of, the "collector" or "Historical
Status" of a vehicle can dispense from a full-fledged DOT-type
test which would mean conformity with current road rules. It's a
hassle, but it is possible. Depending on the countries, the age
of the vehicle determines it's eligibility for the "collector's
vehicle" status. In France it's 25 years. I would be surprised
if OZ did'nt have such a system in place. Incidentally, in
France, MB's and GPW's properly maintained WILL pass the
braking, horn and steering tests, but not the service lights
tests without the addition of turn signals and parking lights.
Some test centers will even accept a metal reflectorized
triangle to place on the road in lieu of the Hazard warning
lights.My Jeep MB and trailer have a "normal" registration and a
minimal alteration of the black-out lights for turn signals. the
parking lights I put on for the test every two years, and I
remove after ;)... Many Western European countries have similar
systems in place.

As for the destruction of Mil-Vehs in the US: blame it on the
"litigation-happy" mentality which prevails in good ole US of A.
When the lawyers greed is curtailed, which is every where else
in the world, you can find and buy Army Surplus Vehicles and
stuff whenever there is a Surplus sale... with the "caveat
emptor" rule applying for safety issues, and the need for
vehicles released in the civilian world to submit to the
inspections mentioned above. But as long as anyone can sue Uncle
Sam for big bucks for product liability, regardless of one's
ability or not to operate such product, we all will be facing
that situation: law suits and court costs will be more money
to pay off to litigants and their lawyers than the sale of
Surplus Mil-Vehs to the public will bring to Uncle Sam's
coffers.

OK...don't flame me...burn the soap box instead.

Antoine

1943 Willys MB & '44 MBT
1942 Harley WLA
1942 Harley XA (two)