Re: [MV] Import/MV's

Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:59:55 -0400

At 13:42 06/08/99 -0700, Joe Foley wrote:
>I don't think Steve is a liar, but what he's saying is one of those
>"often told lies" that seem to be true because they are told so often.
>
>I can't believe that the economy woiuld have suffered after the war
>because of the availibility of heavy trucks, logging and farming would
>have been just two of the beneficiaries. Oil produciton would have
>still been hot and heavy because of the cheaply available vehicles.
>
>You know, I think the economy would have been better off if they hadn't
>destroyed all of those vehicles. Just like today when the government
>says the economy is so good one has to ask "Who's economy?!?!??!" Sure
>the car companies MAY have suffered but someone would have found a way
>to profit, its just a question of who.

Instead of deep-sixing those, they could have sold them anywhere in Europe
where there was a dramatic shortage of motor vehicles after the war.

Would not have affected the car-manufacturers (US ones were not concerned,
and local ones had waiting lists several years long), but what prevented
this was the sheer cost of shipping the unwanted goodies to places where
they were wanted and lack of sea-transport among other things.

Until the late fifties, any car, ex-MV or other, was highly sought-after
and prized, because of this scarcity; a cousin of mine was running a VW
Schwimmwagen until 1954, because he could not buy a new car until he had
finished his studies and graduated as an MD, and so qualified for priority
delivery of a new car.

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, in Darkest Paraguay.

"-And how do you know he is the King ?"
"-He is the only one who is not covered in shit."
-- Monty Python, the Holy Grail
-- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati/ --