[MV] Import/MV's

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:01:03 +0200

At 07.55 09/08/99 EDT, DAVID wrote:

>Relatively recently "After the Battle" magazine ran a couple of articles
>about massive numbers of military vehicles being >distributed through an
"aid" package into the civilian >market in post war Europe....I just don't
remeber the >details, although the articles were quite specific in >terms
of number and >types of vehicles, wher they went, >how they were
distributed and what was the
>authorization of this.
>
>David Doyle

Aug 9 1999

I do not have the AFTER THE BATTLE you mention. However,
Here in Italy a lot of U.S. vehicles were re-cycled (as we say today!).
There were ARAR magazzenos (sorry, I do not know what ARAR stands for!)
full of jeeps, CCKW, DUKW, etc. available for civilians, house builders,
farmers, etc. Many Jeeps were used by the Italian Army (some of them are
in Military Museums), by the Italian Police, by the Fire Dept., many WLA
H-D were used by the Italian Road Police.
A couple of months ago one Jeep was on display at a Meeting: it was used
(and lucky enough preserved) by the Italian Military Railroad Battalion.
It had r.r. wheels and was showed on a short piece of rails and ties.
Sorry, Gordon, no Evans conversion!
Jeeps converted for rail use were used up to 15 years ago by the Italian
State Railways.

Regards,

Raimondo - M.V.P.A.