Re: [MV] Compressed natural gas

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:20:10 -0500

I believe that Natural gas is very close to Propane btu/cu ft wise, maybe
a little less. Power is off slightly compared to gas, in the 10-20%
range I believe. But it burns very cleanly, the oil doesn't get
contaminated very quickly and engine life is much longer typically than
with gas. The bad thing about Natural gas is that you have to compress
the gas to very high pressures to get enough in a tank to be useful. I
believe it is well above 1000 psi whereas propane is in the 100-200 psi
range. It really isn't a bad idea, but where can you get your vehicle
refilled? Gas company trucks that return to the station nightly is no
problem, but is he going to invest in a filling station at this house for
the truck??

Dave Cole