Jeep Rope & Re: [MV] List FAQ?

F. Brian Mead (jeepsoup@mindspring.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:29:51 -0400

Howdy List,
First a question: Where can I get 1" thick hemp rope for a jeep rope for my
1944 MB. Also is it supposed to be 24' long as noted in the corrections to
AAW? Is that 24' a finished length or the length before you make the eyes
on the ends?

Ok, I got that out of the way, =^) now for the second issue:

Quoted from Arthur's email he uses to remind us:

The simple question you need to ask yourself is this: "What has this got to
do with privately owned military vehicles?" If you want to talk about
politics, make sure it relates to zoning ordinances, or safety laws, or
something else related to privately-owned military vehicles. If you want to
give medical information (a potentially dangerous thing at any time), only
do so if it relates to repairing or restoring or using private military
vehicles. But if it has
nothing to do with private ownership of military vehicles, don't post it.

Hmmm, this makes me think about Mr. Bell's email:
"Is there a Korean War or Vietnam re-enactor units/
groups/websites/bulletin boards?

I just bought a Korean War M-43 and I got looking and it seems there isn't
a whole lot of attention given to this little military police action. Are
there folks out there that who do living history of these two periods?"

Now, combine the two paragraphs. HE'S LOOKING FOR A WAY TO SHOW HIS M-43
IN A HISTORIC SETTING, NOT A PARKING LOT! Not to mention he'd be learning
how you live in a vehicle in the field & how it is affected by your life in
it. NO I'M NOT PUTTING DOWN MV SHOWS, FACTORY RESTORATIONS OR ANY OTHER
SUCH THINGS, I just like the living history aspects, not to mention my jeep
is nowhere near the quality of restoration for show.
That's one reason I posted the info from my dad regarding cooking on MVs
in the field. Lot's of guys on the list probably never had to think,
"hmmm, I can't stop long enought to build a fire, or the fire may be seen
by someone, where's the best place to stick this can to heat it so I can
get a warm meal". Definitely a thought after you've spent the night in the
woods under a single wool blanket trying to keep out the cold. At points
like that, you get very inventive. And believe me, when you show the
public those kinds of things, they EAT IT UP!
If we let the public see the vehicles as they were used by their fathers,
brothers, grandfathers, etc they are gonna be alot more receptive to
PRIVATELY OWNED MILITARY VEHICLES!!! The "human element" lets alot more
people really connect with what we are trying to preserve.
Just a word of thanks to Arthur and all the members of the list. It's
great finding out about all the various aspects & approaches to this hobby.
Keep up the good work.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian Mead
1944 MB