Re: [MV] Canadian M38 information needed

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 05:48:17 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Neil <jneil@socal.rr.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Saturday, August 28, 1999 2:00 PM
Subject: [MV] Canadian M38 information needed

>A question for someone familiar with the Canadian Army M38. I a found a
1952
>M38 in southern California, some one told them it was a "Ford" and on the
>data plates is said "Ford Motor Co. of Canada"
>SERIAL NUM.: F-100092
This is one of the oldest survivors. F100098 (from memory as I don't have
time to look it up) is for sale locally from the estate of Pat Smith
(ex-President MVCC/MVPA).
***** Look again closely - contract should read ARMY E-20 LV7 639
****** Yes. I can get back to you later with quantity. Just over 2,000.
>Any information is appreciated
>and helpful.
>On the top left frame rail between the front bumper and the grill is a
>stamped number: 52-30666.
***** This is the Canadian Army Number. 52 = year this veh came into
service. All jeep at that time were in 30,000 number range. Number also
usually painted on sided below 'doors'. SOme units (e.g. Queen's Own Rifles)
pianted number on hood.
>It has a M100 trailer that goes with it.
****** Look to see if it is an M100CDN trailer made by Motor Coach
Industries. About 1,000 of those were built.
>Both are in excellent shape! No rust, no dents, all the parts including a
>full canvas top, original oil filter. The M38 is very close to show or
>museum quality! Very very nice. Asking price $15,900.00.
>Paul Neil
>Maybe my second M38

****** Very high price. Restored M38CDN sells for C$5,000 to max maybe
C$10,000. Restored/mint M100 trailer about C$1,000 or perhaps a bit more.
Most sell for about C$800. Package here should sell for about C$10,000. In
US$ that is ABOUT US$7000-8000. Can add to it for mint condition.
CAUTION: In Canada they have special value. Market outside Canada is limited
as Japanese buyers etc. want MADE IN AMERICA - WILLYS.
Bottom line, it is top price. Ask your bank what US$15,900 would convert to
in Canadian dollars, then ask what C$10,000 - C$11,000 Canadian would cost
you in US dollars, then try to negotiate price down. If buying as investment
(Ha! A story for the wife) not worth it? If buying for love and is what you
REALLY want, then maybe OK. If is so good and runs sweetly, then your TIME
is saved. What is a year or two of your TIME worth to you (if had to rebuild
a wreck). If mint, well, throw rules out the window and go with instinct.
Buyer beware, but good luck.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)
(former owner 43 GPW, 1940-1943 CMPs, 1952 M38CDN, 1953 M100CDN)