Re: [MV] Overdrive

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:29:30 -0500

>Can anyone tell me if there is an overdrive available for GPW/MB's? I
>have just about finished my body-off restoration and was wondering how to
>get a few more miles per hour out of the old girl. Not to go faster, as
>the wheel base makes them squirrely at 55 mph. I just don't want to have
>to go pedal to the metal to get to 55 mph. I would like to use lower rpms
>to get the same speed. Any input will be appreciated.

I put a Warn unit (now made by Advance Adapts I think??) in my CJ-2A. It
bolts into the round hole in the back of the transfer case, i.e. no
driveshaft mods! Of course I have 5.38 gears not your 4.88 and adding this
was the only way I could even go 45 without the engine screeming. But.....
I also have front locking hubs and I discovered that if I leave them locked,
I run out of power with the OD, the engine just doesn't cut it. With the
hubs open I can run at 50-55 comfortably. In your case, you'll get your
engine speed down but I wonder if you'll have enough HP to make it worth
it??? IMO the jeep was never meant to go over 45 anyway.

je