RE: [MV] M1009 Blazer Desert Markings?

Antony Castagno (acastagno@sapient.com)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:11:24 +1000

Doug,

I was a tank commander in Desert Storm with the 24th Infantry Division (M)
Obviously tank companies did not have CUCV's but rather 2 HMMWV's I do
however remember seeing HMMWV's in the rear as we were withdrawing from
Iraq. The MP's Engineers, etc that were near the front were mostly
outfitted with HMMWV's as well. The CUCV's were very prone to getting stuck
in the sand. I remember seeing alot of them being towed across the sand by
HMMWV's and M113's. The allied identifier markings are correct and did
appear on the doors. I'm not sure of the hood, but why not. These were
applied by the vehicle operators so there was a bit of interpretation :) A
definite piece of equipment you need is the VS17 Aerial marking panel.
Thats the orange and purple fabric panel used for Identification. Every
vehicle in the theater was required to have it displayed for easy ID. My
Tanks were required to spread it across the equipment in the bussle rack
orange side up. Incidentally, the 24th Infantry division had sand colored
vehicles way before the Gulf War. It was part of our deployment mission.
The 24th was known as the victory division and had a V painted on all of the
vehicles. In some pics from the war you might see a tank with rightside up
V's on the Turret and upside down V's on the side skirts..... Just a bit of
Trivia. Incidentally the 24th ID was the point of the spear in the western
push that enveloped the Republican Guards cutting off their retreat, and
destroying the Hamurabi Republican Guards at the battle of Rumalyah and
Talil. Some of the largest tank battles of the war. If memory serves the
Military Police Company of the Division was 24th MP but I don't remember if
they had any CUCV's