Re: Re[4]: [MV] MVPA session MG's

DDoyle9570@aol.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:22:57 EDT

>Why can you have the public at a living history event where just about
>every reenactor has a "live firearm" and blanks but you can't have live
weapons
>and blanks at a HMV show?

Some you can, but it is up to ORGANIZORS to make these rules, and
participants should follow what ever rules exist.

>Insurance? Maybe..but there are insurance companies that provide for the
reenactments.

I forgot to mention a lot of our HMV events are on an active military
installation, and they have a mountain of paperwork to fill out to bring in
live weapons. As one of the handful of local people tasked with organizing
these things, the less work for me the better....perhaps I'd feel better if
more than 4-5 of us did the bulk of the work while 40-50 watched and
criticized.

>Are HMV owners any less safety concious than reenactors?

Sure seem to be around here, seriously. I've seen the weapons checks, the
mapping of pyro charges, the briefings, and I've seen vehicle owners
providing "props" ignore all that, drive into ditches ("didn't know it was
there", but the rest of us did), within 3 feet of mortar charge, etc. Also
saw I guy drive to an HMV event in a truck with no working service brakes!!!!
Said he'd done that for years, we didn't allow him to participate in
vehicle rodeo though....Had a fellow tow another guy in a MB at 40 MPH....

>It's not the laws, or insurance, or more 'Gun Nuts".....I think it is
attitude.

Yes, it is my attitude when I'm the organizer of military VEHICLE show. Which
is: I AM NOT going to be responsible (both morally and risking my business,
home, etc in this litigous society) for keeping up with my 5-6 HMV's on
display, registration, rooms, meals, restroom facilities, parking, disabling
vehicles AND doing weapons checks and keeping some idiots hands off of live
weapons while the owner is momentarily distracted.

I have been to events where....

spectator fired gas operated .50, owner (who "lets" no one on vehicle) had
inadvertantly left gas "on", and was showing engine compartment to some
folks. How would that have been with live ammo, or even blanks?????

Fellow had great display of Springfields, couldn't keep folks hands off even
though he put up rope around display....

Kids pull pins on dummy grenades,,,,,

Everyone in 3 countys it seems is oblivious to what there children do, and
some adults aren't a bit better.

>What frys me is that you try to
>stop me from coming in uniform and with all my kit, because you still label
>someone who 'likes' guns and likes to dress the part as a "gun
nut/militia". I
>think it offends your sense of "PC".

If, sir, the "you" refered to above is me personally, you simply do not know
what you are talking about. It offends me that you should direct such a
personal comment to some one you do not know, who was only trying to explain
a situation that you brought up, from the point of view of HMV show
organizer....

.....if it is a generalization, I cannot speak for others. Perhaps there are
people that feel as you describe, not me, I told you how I feel, and to say
otherwise is to accuse me of lying to you.

>As someone who is interested in history, I see public displays as a chance
>share history whith the masses and help to educate. I feel that I can do
that
>better if I am wearing the uniform when I am standing next to my vehicle
and
>talking about the use of my vehicle by the regiment whose unit markings are
on
>my truck. It just doesn't have the same impact to the public if I am
standing
>there in a t-shirt and jeans.

Bravo to you (Sincerely, I got a lot of friends that do that too, and I can't
see how ya'll take the 90 degree heat in that gear, especially my friend who
wears the German wool uniform,shee!), I'm a t-shirt guy, who brings signs,
photos, posters banners describing in detail each of my vehicles to the
crowds....to each his own, but some of my best friends dress in period
clothing and bring to these events....

GP medium tent, fully furnished
pack howitzer
Stuart tank
shelter halfs
many live on site as they would have 50 years ago

and these same folks bring, when permitted by show organizors....

MG42
Browning M2HB
breech ring for pack
BAR
mortar
assorted Garands, carbines, M1911A1s, Springfields, etc....

We all travel together, frequently stay together, get together through the
week for BS sessions....If I thought they were "gun nuts" (what difference
between gun nut & truck nut other than hardware?), or militia, or had a
problem with their interest, would I associate with them?

>My point isn't about guns per se. This is not a topic to take to the gun
lists.
>This is about attitude among the HMV hobby and this IS an appropriate topic
for
>the rest of the list to read and consider. The position concerning firearms
and
>HMVs taken by clubs and event organizers directly effects my participation
in
>this hobby.

>I am concerned that the history we are trying to preserve is being "dumbed
down"
>at more and more club events because a number of people are uncomfortable
>about guns.

Speaking for myself, and I tried to point this out in my earlier post, and
obviously failed, its not the guns per se, it is the idiots, of 2 types, the
ones that are spectators and think that they should "look" with their hands
(without asking) and the participants who don't recognize it is a full time
job to maintain control of their weapons at ALL times because many in the
crowd have no respect for personal property.

>" I would rather be historically accurate than politically correct!"

I want to be as safe AND as accurate as possible, could care less about
politically correct.

David Doyle

PS: You sound like a very responsible person, have you discussed this one on
one with the local show organizors? I know from personal experience that
exceptions can be made...