Re: [MV] M1009 4wd system

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:43:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jaime A Ponce de Leon <jaimepdl@elp.rr.com> wrote:

> > Vehicle MUST be stopped..trans in
> neutral...sometimes..you have to shut the
> > damn engine off to shift the transfer case..1SG
> PANTANO
>

> Ok, as far as i know, all chevy transfer cases
> before 1988, you had to stop
> the vechicle to shift.
I didn't have that problem on my 1971 K-5, if the hubs were locked in I
could shift from 2 WHD to 4 WHD High Range if I was going straight,
without clutching either, I unloaded the transmission with the gas
pedal. Low range was a whole 'nother matter.

Actually, I do the same with my 1983 K-20. Its got 300,000+ miles on
it so I have no concerns about excessive wear on the gears.

Its really not much different than shifting a two speed axle.

Joe F.

My 1986 K5 blazer and my 1998