Re: [MV] Cable Carrier for WW2 Jeep - ACL No. 11

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 00:19:19 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bell <tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk>
...Subject: [MV] Cable Carrier for WW2 Jeep

...>If my last post left anyone wondering quite what the Cable Carrier I
have
>is.... if you have a copy of "Jeep Goes To War"... look at pages 25 and
>26... especially page 25
** Pages 24 and 25 in my copy of the book
>... the device can be seen attached to the back of the jeep... however in
this picture there is no cable drum on it... making it less obvious as to
its actual function.

>If anyone has any info on these, I'd be really keen to know...
>
>Who made them,
** British ?? Look for maker's name or initials, /|\ and date stampings.
>Where and When - the caption for the photo I mention above says Tunisia
>1943... so that's at least a starting point.
**** DO NOT TRUST CAPTIONS IN "JEEP GOES TO WAR". The potos are GREAT and
the book is well worth having just for the pictures. I regret to say that
the author cannot tell the difference between an M29C Water Weasel and a GPA
(p. 69 ), between an M38 and an M38A1 (pp. 8-9, p. 100); identifies a late
1941 or early 1942 Willys MB as being shown in the summer of 1941 when it
had not yet been built (p. 22); T34J gearbox? (p. 29); calls rear
bumperestts 'fender" (p. 30); refers to a "Bantam Willys trailer" (p. 32 -
Should be a Bantam T3 OR a Willys MBT ); claims the M100 trailer had a
hinged tailgate (p. 33); front "fender" referring to bumper (p. 47);
assembly of new jeeps called overhaul (p. 52); totally inaccurate drawing of
cutaway jeep (pp. 56-57); M38A1CDN3 shown were built in USA but he
mistakenly identifies it as being built in Canada - the M38A1CDN and
M38A1CDN2 were built in Canada but not the M38A1CDN3; cannot tell difference
between an M151 and M151A2 (pp. 90, 93 etc.); claims "The M151 became the
M38 (4X4) vehicle in US Army service." (p. 96); claims erroneously that "The
M38 was built in Canada as the M38CDN and M38A1CDN." !!!! (p. 100); etc.

>Were they exclusively used by US troops... or did othe allied nations use
>them?
*** British and Canadian troops used them too. The type you are referring to
was the ACL No. 11, which is shown in photos on Plate II of WO Code No.
7070 - Signal Training Pamphlet No. 4 - Construction and maintenance of
Lines - Part II - Ground cable 1946 (Canadian reprint April 1962). It is
called "Apparatus, Cable Laying, No. 11" It is portable, hand operated
layer, can be dismounted from the jeep and stood on ground like a saw-horse,
or opened up like a folding ladder and carried like a strecher. Support
straps were available if they had to carry it a long way. No 5 drum normally
carried in it, but No. 7 drum could be carried. The Canadian Army still uses
these (or similar) drums - I saw one in use last weekend! I could Xerox
data if desired.

ACL No. 3 was also mounted in jeeps and they show one in two photos of a
slat grill Canadian CDLV 242 contract Willys W-LU 440-M-PERS-1 (i.e. MB)
jeep WD # M4210064 in Plate I. It stands over the right rear wheelwell
inside the jeep.

Another type - See photo on p. 18 of "Jeep Goes to War". This photo and
others of the same jeep appear in several books. Cable drums are mounted in
front of grill. Similar rig on a jeep after an airborne landing at Arnhem
(p. 58)

>Does anyone know of any dealers stocking them... so I can get an idea of
>value.>Thanks again >Tim

*** Value ???? No idea. Depends I suppose on condition, if it is complete,
has two neck straps. , handles, brake unit, drum etc. If for sale let me
know and a friend might be interested.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB