Re: [MV] Towing a C8 CMP

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 00:48:46 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: DenisDeck@aol.com <DenisDeck@aol.com>
To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com <Mil-Veh@skylee.com>
...Subject: [MV] Towing a C8 CMP

>I will shortly be towing a 4260 pound truck from Vancouver, BC to Folsom,
CA.
> I will be renting an auto trailer with surge brakes and towing it behind a
>Ford Explorer. Anyone with experience towing care to offer suggestions?
>Dennis Deck Folsom, CA 1941 C8 CMP 1945 MB

Denis:
Ian Newby (International Movie Services) towed my F8 (same type vehicle,
but Ford not Chev) on a trailer behind a large car as I recall - not far -
maybe 30 miles. Tandem axle trailer SAGGED at both ends as I recall! A bit
scary! Think of C8 as being like a US 1/2 Ton Dodge. Weight 5,350 lbs.
Wheelbase 101" Dimensions 166" x 83" x 90"

Ref: Bart Vanderveen's THE OBSERVER'S FIGHTING VEHICLES DIRECTORY World War
II . 221, top right corner photo. Photo is an F8, but identified as a C8
(damn similar!). This is one of the FEW mistakes Bart has made in vehicle
identification.

Contact me offlist. I may be able to put you up on the couch or at least in
a tent out back of my townhouse and show you LOTS of reference materials on
CMPs etc. and my 1944 MB, and BSA airborne bicycles. I am about 1/2 hour's
drive north from the truck. Can also show you a restored (but engine trouble
therefore immobile) almost identical F8 (my old one) in our area - now owned
by same Ian Newby!. Bring your camera.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB