Re: [MV] Towing

Sparky (cparkinson@wwdc.com)
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:01:36 -0400

Tom Bauer wrote:

> the reason for putting the trans in gear (any gear) is to keep it from
> turning. without the engine running and turning the input shaft and
> counter shaft which is under the oil, there will be very little or maybe
> even no ludrication. so just to be real safe put the transfer in neutral
> and the trans in gear.
> tom m35

My M38 Manual would dissagree with your statment.
I have TM 9-8012 operation and organizational maintenance manual for my M38
CDN. On page 36 it states and I quote

"If the transmission, transfer, front axle assembly, rear axel assembly, or
propeller shafts are not dammaged, the vehicle may be towed on four wheels.
Position transmission gearshift lever (V, fig. 7) in "N" (neutral) position,

transfer front wheel drive gearshift lever (T, fig. 7) in OUT position, and
position transfer high and low range gearshift lever (S fig. 7) in "N"
(neutral)
position.

Craig Parkinson

M38 CDN