Re: [MV] M151-Series Trucks

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:49:13 -0700

Ian Newby (International Movie Services) in Aldergrove, British Columbia,
Canada (near Vancouver) has an ORIGINAL US MUTT Ambulance M718, complete as
released surplus. I can photograph it sometime for you if you wish. He rents
it to the movies. I drove it back from Canadian Forces Base Comox where he
displayed it at the air show for the 75th Anniversary of the RCAF. It runs
fine.

There is another one in 11 Service Battalion's museum at the LtGen Ashton
Armoury on Vanalman Street in Victoria BC CANADA but it is a replica M718
built on a MUTT apparently. This type of vehicle was never used by Canada as
far as I know. The museum got theirs on a trade.

Someone in Holland was selling an M718A1 with very low mileage recently.

John Hawthorne should be just about finished his restoration of a US Ranger
MUTT command vehicle as used in the Gulf War. He found one where the body
had to be surrendered for destruction, but he got ALL of the special stuff
(except radios) such as desert wheels, special brackets etc. He and Ian
Newby also documented the 75th Infantry (i.e. RANGERS) desert raiding MUTTs
with gun mounts etc. before they were scrapped at Fort Lewis. I believe John
H. plans to rebuild one of those too someday - I hope they do!

John H. bought lots of MUTTs surplus in Canada (had been cut in half) and in
USA (bodies later crushed by order after he stripped off the parts). He has
been rebuilding MUTTs and doing an excellent job of it. He did one up New
Old Stock. He found an NOS tub, and put on all NOS parts! It is not a
restoration, in the normal sense of the word, it is "factory" new!

John H. took a MUTT down to the MVPA Convention in Portland a few years ago,
just as a driving vehicle. The judges heard he had planned to enter a MUTT
for judging, so they found it in the parking lot, judged it, and he won!
That says a lot about the quality of John's work.

Some years ago, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) acquired info
through our Freedom of Information Act on the Canadian MUTTs (M151A2 model,
1974 purchase of 900 as I recall), and the added on roll cage later, then
the stupid "logic" for scrapping them...they sold old M38CDN and M38A1CDN
varieties of jeeps surplus, but scrapped the safer M151A2s!!!! I have a
copy of these documents via Ian Newby. I was interviewed to give some jeep
background.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB