Re: [MV] M151-Series Trucks

Keith Densmore (densmore@idirect.com)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:08:06 -0400

Those were sad, sad days. I was going to the Crown Assets Disposal yard in
Mississagua, Ontario and trying to win a bid on an M38A1. They would bring
in a load each month, each lot worse than the last, bend bodies, brakeless,
tireless, you name it. If you won one, and could get it started they didn't
care if you drove it away, whether it could steer or brake or not. But over
at one corner of the yard sat a double row of Mutts, all with the 5 point
roll-bar. The highest mileage one had 5,000 on it and one only had 76 miles.
It still had all its release tags attached.
But no, they wouldn't sell you one of those, they are unsafe. As I
understand it they contracted with high-schools, and after paying towing
charges there they let the nippers take 'em apart and scrap the body and
frame. Then they paid 200.00 to the school for each vehicle scrapped and
paid a tow truck to bring back whatever parts were left. Those went up for
bid and they averaged back about 100.00.
If I bought a high performance 4-wheel drive vehicle for say 40,000 and
then parked it in my driveway andthen came out and started hammering it up,
they would have a great case to lock me away, and rightfully so. The
government does the same thing, and that's good business!

Keith Densmore