Re: [MV] Naples/Vehicle Security

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:31:30 -0700

>>>Then there were pictures (taken in France I think, not sure..) of a
>side door-strap eyelet bolted to the middle of the Jeep dash, so that one
>could padlock the gear lever in reverse...
>>>Antoine

There is an excellent photo of this technique on page 254 of ALL AMERICAN
WONDER Vol 2 Page 254. A spare third safety strap eye is attached to the
dash about 1/2" from bottom edge of dash, just to left of the bottom right
hand instrument gauge i.e. the position close to the gear shift lever when
it is in reverse gear. It appears that a padlock looped through the eye, can
also fasten around the gear shift lever.

There is also a photo of a strap welded to the fuel cap (an early cenbtre
fill small cap). The strap, about 5" - 6" long (?) overlaps the front round
tube of the seat frame and has a slot cut in it (lengthways). There is a
piece welded to the seat frame with an upright portion so that the strap can
drop over it - and then a padlock can be inserted through the hole in the
protruding section (concept is like a padlock hasp). I do wonder how one
screws in the gas cap with the bar striking the other welded section with
every full turn - so the strap must have some flexibility.

The above two features were on a jeep returned from France by a US veteran
after W.W. II. It MAY be Willys MB slat grill sn MB108362, Engine MB102361
USA 2033616 (see Army Motors of MVPA 55 pp. 26-27). This jeep and trailer
(0226551) were sold in the USA by a dealer. Does anyone know who has it now?
Is it Jim Staberg of WI USA? (ref MVPA Directory D-5).

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB