M109A3 oil pressure gauge (was: Re: [MV] Towing my new M109A3 home)

mblair1@home.net
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:43:42 -0700

mblair1@home.net wrote:

> the oil pressure gauge did not come up. [...] I have a replacement
> 120 PSI sender which I ordered with the 120 PSI gauge [...] I'll
> bench-test the sender and gauge with air pressure [...] The gauge
> came with a mounting clip for a dashboard about 3/4" thick, so I'll
> need to make a different clip out of some sheet metal.

I was told that my oil pressure gauge was probably meant for a HMMWV,
which has a thicker instrument panel. So, I will probably have a spare
HMMWV gauge mounting clip for trade in a week or so, as soon as I'm
sure I don't need to return the gauge...

I figured out part of the problem: I didn't realize that the gauge
needed a ground connection. With a plastic body and a plastic clip, it
wasn't getting one. I wired everything up and tested my gauge and
sender with air pressure, and it seems to work, though the accuracy is
only about +/- 10 PSI (I guess that's good enough). I was planning to
make a mounting clip out of sheet metal anyway, so that should provide
the ground connection it needs. The sender in the truck might be OK,
but I think I'll replace it anyway, because the rubber boot tore off
when I pulled the wire. Plus, with a known-good sender in there, I'll
know I have a real problem if the oil pressure reading still doesn't
come up!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/