Re: [MV] Saving Private Ryan without the SS

Antoine (antoine@usa.net)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:27:05 -0700

Who are we kidding here?
We (mil-veh buffs, reenactors etc..) get into uniforms in our
combat-ready beloved machines because WE LOVE IT... NOT by
altruism. Pretending that we are in the process educating the
masses may seem like a valid afterthought, but come on! Parade
and static displays do serve a real purpose with the young
public at large, especially where there are veterans nearby,
because it is quiet, orderly, and lends itself to reflection and
reminiscence...allowing the elders to explain to the young
ones...
Reenactement, to the contrary, is merely and by design a
duplication of a tactical event and does not educate anybody
about history and context... it merely panders to our
ever-present taste for noise, violence and destruction... It is
an insult to anyone's intelligence to pretend otherwise...
Antoine
http://www.freehomepages.com/antoine
http://www.powow.com/harley42xa

43 Willys MB