Re: [MV] Saving Private Ryan without the SS

SBJohnston@aol.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:47:38 EDT

Antoine wrote:

>Parade and static displays do serve a real
>purpose with the young public at large...
>Reenactement, to the contrary, is merely and by design a
>duplication of a tactical event and does not educate anybody
about history and context...

Wow... I couldn't disagree more. I'm not a re-enactor myself, but in my
experience those I've encountered were even more serious about the history
and "correctness" of their outfits than the military vehicle guys! Both
groups have a full spectrum of participants, from casual to very-serious, but
the re-enactors seem very keen on studying their subject and then educating
others with what they've learned.

For me, learning the history of my vehicle and telling others about it is a
great pleasure. Driving it around, even off-road, is cool, but not as much
fun as sharing the history with others. I'll bet the same is true for many
re-enactors.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com