Re: [MV] USMC gas cans

Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 06:51:21 -0400

At 22:34 06/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a few of these back in Normandy, same reddish inside
>coating, and the British cam lever opening welded over the usual
>US "round" opening. I am sure they are for gas, as some still do
>have the little red tin tab with the octane rating folded over
>the base of the handles... I don't recall seeing any stampings
>on the base, though, only USMC or G on the sides.

Antoine;

Those US jerrycans modified with a German / English spout were common after
the war; they were bought in bulk by sellers of heating oil who used them
for deliveries.

The spout were changed to make them a bit more leakproof, the German /
English pattern spout giving a more positive closure than the US-style
screw lid.

The German / English spout with mounting flange used in the conversion were
made by Aubry, who still makes and sell jerrycans. (they also sell the
rubber gasket if anyone is interested)

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Parana River.

MVT 886 Listmaster : WW II Wolkswagen List
http://personales.conexion.com.pyrolgiati/kubel/kubele.htm