Re: [MV] Water Buffalo

F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:47:59 -0400

Monte,
I don't know about purchasing Water Buffalos for long term use, but if
it's for a special camporee or such, you can always get with your local
Nation Guard Unit. At most Civil War Reenactments, there are 10-20 or more
National Guard Water Buffalos scattered around the site. The NG unit comes
& swaps out the tanks as they empty. I don't know of the financial
arrangements involved, but if you're interested, I may be able to find out
more about how the arrangement goes. I guess they also use it as a crowd
control training exercise.
Now that I think about it, back in 1981 at boy scout camp in North
Carolina, the National Guard brought us three meals a day. Standard
military fare, brought to us in dueces. No wonder I am the way I am. =^)
At the Reenactment of the Battle of Chickamauga, the Tenneessee National
Guard not only did the water (along with the local fire dept) but they also
did crowd control & other services. Kinda weird riding down a dirt road on
a horse, in full CW era uniform, riding on a repro M1859 McClellan saddle,
only to be passed by a Hummer filled with NG guys.
BTW to make this MV related: I think there were at least 3 horse drawn
artillery pieces in attendance (maybe 40 more without horses), about 150
mounted Cavalry, and the reproduction of the Hunley was on display.

Brian Mead
Griffin, Ga