RE: [MV] Gen. sets- won't start!

Keith, Steve (Steve.Keith@compaq.com)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:06:01 -0400

One word: MAGNETO

The points in the mag a probably corroded. Unlike a distributor, there is
not a lot of current and wiping action. I have had many "M" series units
with mags. I learned to curse at them early on. I also learned to just take
them apart and lightly touch the pints with a very fine file.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: KBYRDDBYRD@aol.com [mailto:KBYRDDBYRD@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 6:00 PM
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] Gen. sets- won't start!

A friend called today, he has a pair of 5KW gen. sets. on 3/4 ton trailer.
These have the 10 hp mil. standard engine ( 2AO42-III). He said he could not

get them to run or even fire. These are almost new units, well maintained,
clean, recent state surplus. He don't have an operators manual and it's hard

for me to tell from 80 mi. what could be wrong. He said he turned the switch

on and engines turned over, but never would start. Is there something he's
not doing (a switch overlooked, blown fuse, or something simple he's not
doing). I'm familiar with this engine, but only on mules. Anybody got any
tips on things to check? Thanks for any help!! What is the proper starting
procedure?
Keith in TN.