Re: [MV] Silicone Brake Fluid - About Dean's comment.

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:31:21 -0600

Alan Bowes wrote:

> DBaumanjr@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I have an article from the Bendix Brakes Techline that says that Silicone
> > fluid, when "shocked" by the rapid pulsating of the hydraulic control valves
> > in ABS systems will aerate the fluid.
> > Darryl

As long as I'm speculating, could it be that IF the negative component of a
pressure pulse causes a brief oversaturated condition and some dissolved gas is
liberated in the form of bubbles, perhaps these bubbles might take longer to be
reabsorbed, which would cause foaming. Again, just speculating.

Whatever the mechanism(s) are, the end result appears to be the same: Extra
compressibility, due to heat, foaming, dissolved gases, etc. seems to have a
detrimental effect on pulse modulation.

In the meantime, I'll keep using silicone fluid in non-ABS systems, making
absolutely certain that I don't accidentally introduce any water when cleaning or
filling the system.

Alan Bowes