Re: [MV] M38A1 front end shimmy?

fv74@altavista.net
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:18:21 -0400 (EDT)

Mark, How much play do you have in your steering wheel? If you have more than an inch, you should start looking at your steering components. When I bought my jeep it had about 6 inches of play and was not safe to drive. The bellcrank needle bearings had turned to powder, replacing the beaings got the play down to 3". Still too much. I then rebuilt the steering box and got the play under an inch. Tie rod ends and king pin bearings are also suspect. Loose wheel bearings can also cause a shimmy.

Dave Fillman
45 MB