Re: [MV] Some interesting correspondence from the MVPA

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:09:30 -0500

>From: Jerry Cleveland <zephyr@qadas.com>
>> Dear Mr. Reese;
>>
>> We elected to drop The American Story, Inc. from our list of Internet
>> links because of public remarks by your associate, John Seidts.
>>
>> Among other things, his statements included: "The MVPA has had a long
>> standing tradition of problems or 'trouble at the top,' which have left
>> it little more than an old men's marching and chowder club with a very
>> elitist method of approaching its membership," and "I don't know how long
>> you've been in the MVPA, but the old MVCC was like this back in the
>> 1980's. It was bad news then, and is bad news today."

Ok, two problems here.

#1) the quotes above was presumably from a mil-veh post presumably posted by
John Seidts. This is NOT a public statement. This is a statement by one
member of a private BS club to the rest of the people who happened to be
standing close enough to hear him (figuratively speaking). This is not
print or broadcast media, this is not a letter to the editor, this is a
private club.

#2) Again I point out (as I have made this statement in the past) that
this list, as well as all listervs and usenet, are for the benifit of the
participants only. I am bothered by the MVPA eavsdropping in on our little
round table chit chat, recording said chit chat, then using it against
someone or more people when they do not nor have they ever PARTICIPATED in
what is going on here.

I'm an old man, internet speaking (1985), and maybe my opintions are tainted
by many years of involvement with usenet, listservs. email, etc. Maybe you
young'ns don't see the problem or aren't bothered by it, if your not, maybe
you need to think about what the 'old world' equivelant to the internet and
everything that goes on withinit are. A listserv, like mil-veh, is a bunch
of people standing around in the parking lot of a car show shooting the
breese in various little groupies about whatever topic comes up, related to
military vehicles. Nobody is stating anything for the record, there are no
reporters or cameras, nobody is making official statements, it's just talk.
Some of it's true, some isn't, some of it is opinion and some is fact, some
people are happy about it, some get angry, but it's just talk. That is all.

je