Re: [MV] Gama Goats Float

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:55:48 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: HMVWF97@aol.com <HMVWF97@aol.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 26 October 1999 16:36
Subject: [MV] Gama Goats Float

>I know that Gama Goats float . The trick is to have a load in the rear of 400
>lbs.(2 big guys with paddles) and to have no more than one of the following:
>winch kit, weapon mt., or R.O.P.S. kit. An Evinrude on a NEW tailgate with
>NEW seal works great, but requires an individual that can follow shouted, no
>screamed, orders.
>The angle of approach and departure is very limited without taking on water.
>going in is easier than coming out. If the o-rings are not so new, and even
>if they are, a thourogh checkover of the hubs is required after swimming.
>This is a real pain, and reason enough not to take it swimming.Do not forget
>to re-install the drain plugs.

This might explain the Military's coolness towards them, FV621/2/3 have laden
approach angle at 42º and departure at 29º.

> The alvis stalwart "rhino" is REALLY an amphibious vehicle, and the twin
>Dowty water turbines make for a lot of manuverability. Reverse thrusters work
>with"bobcat" stick controls, and it can be steered with the wheels also at
>higher speeds, like when dragging an exasperated skier. This tailgate is so
>big that two black max's will fit(just kidding about this).

Never heard them called a "Rhino" before, however. . . .

Normally all water steering is done by the tillers operating scoops over the
jets for directional control through to reverse, the wheels can be used to
counteract cross-currents.

Never seen anyone try to ski with a Stalwart tug, you'd need a very large ski,
preferably of expanded polystyrene.

Only two, I think four would go but with very long legs and likely just 1 kt
increase in speed such is the hydrodynamics of the thing, a brick springs to
mind. The tail-gate is over 6' 3" wide.

>The gama goat climbs hills better than a rhino or a humvee and does not high
>center.

Difficult to compare, FV620/2/3's make 1 in 2.3 with a 5 ton load - 1 in 3 for
restart, max side overturn 1 in 1.5 (34º) and 5' trench crossing. With the
equal (triple) wheel wheelbase they don't high centre either and all six being
solidly driven by the "no-spin" diff (which is actually a double face ratchet)
the off-road performance is remarkable.

>the humvee is the best all around vehicle for actual usability and fords
>5'-0" .
>The Rhino swims best but only goes 40-45 downhill and screams at that speed.

There some, over the water, that reckon the current mil turbo diesel Land Rover
is actually the optimum size for all terrain.

I've never managed 45 down hill, the mechanical governor closes the throttle at
3750 rpm (some were set down to 3050), 40 mph in 5th, at these revs there is a
danger of spreading the synchro cones on the fourth speed cluster, the throttle
would be at idle by 3800 or 3900 and the ignition cut-out operates at 4000 rpm.
With 14 gearboxes to turn it doesn't coast very well either.

>This is why all three are required , + spares, in any collection, or so I
>told my wife...

Very wise move.

>By the way, The Rhino is about as neat as it gets in the water at night with
>the headlights on, as the water comes halfway up the windshield (all the way
>up under full power without a load in back) and the captain nemo effect is
>just too cool to describe.

Hmmm, well barely to the bottom unladen and stays there with the correct
swim-board extended even with a nose heavy FV623 and the extra ton of crane.

>The water is a murky yellow and snakes and fish
>(hopefully no logs)
> come up and hit the windshield and scare everybody in the cab (all three) .
>do not go into the water with hot headlights by the way...they break and then
>there you are, out in the lake with no lights to find your way back.

The correct and very thick glassed LV6MT3/6220-99-803-4202 FV426612 flat faced
units don't do this, possibly car replacements will.

>Can Rhinos still be imported?

Only for official zoos I guess, for a FV621/2/3 you apparently need to have a
Form 6 with a signature that reads "W. J. Clinton" or "M. Albright", then there
is just a chance those frightfully nice people at the BATF might take notice.

Richard
(Southampton UK)