RE: [MV] Amphibious M151A2s

Keith, Steve (Steve.Keith@compaq.com)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:02:55 -0500

I have thought about buying another M151 (shoot me please...!) and making it
amphibious. I don't think it would be too hard to do. The drive thru diffs
makke running a prop and bilgs pump easy. I had thought that I would make a
sheet metal bulkhead between the motor and tranny, something thin. Let the
tranny be in water and seal the bottom of the engine compartment. YOu would
need to add some metal to the doorways to keep the water out too.

I had mine floating one thime when 4-wheeling. It was scarry to hear the
wheels just spinning with no movement. After it 'sank' by filling up the
foot wells in the front, I continued on...

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: William R. Benson [mailto:Benson@eqe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 1:08 PM
To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] Amphibious M151A2s

That's right, folks, amphibious jeeps. No mods, directly as they are
issued from a Marine Motor Pool...

Actually they weren't amphibious, but I saw Steve Sabol "skip" a jeep
across a flooded tank trap sweet as you please, using hydroplaning. Danged
if it didn't work, with the jeep fully loaded with SL-3 complete M-2 .50
cal and radio...

Then another feller, the smart aleck of the platoon decided to try it,, got
scared, and applied brakes at the water's edge (well past the point o' no
return), and promptly sank the jeep, with all of the gear, in about ten
feet of water.

"Hesitate amd your worst fears will come true."

Any other amazing feats of field use that you're willing to relate
(provided that the statutes of limitation has expired)?

Let's hear 'em!

:)

Bill