Re: [MV] AAAAuuugh! Frozen lug nuts!!!!

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:15:38 -0700

Joe Foley wrote:

> If this has gotten that bad, I'd say the stud is shot
> from being twisted, bent, stretched, or
> overtightened!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Joe on this point. As I mentioned in a
previous e-mail to you, the stud has probably been taken close to (or
beyond) its yield point and is NOT to be trusted. There is a small chance
that the primary resistance might be between the nut and the tapered seat
in the wheel, but I would say that there is a much greater chance that
the primary resistance is between the nut and the threads, in which case
you have almost certainly overstressed the stud by now.

Whatever the reason for the unusual resistance, whether it is due to
rust, incorrect thread direction, cross threading, etc., after you get
the nut off, replace the stud with a new one.

Alan