Re: [MV] flat towing an m35

Steve L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:45:59 -0600

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:50:00 -0800 Eric Kozowski
<eric@haydenisland.verio.net> writes:

>i'm looking for input on flat towing an m35a2 w/ another m35a2. have
>any of you done it? any tips or tricks? how far can you flat tow an
>m35a2? anyone have an appropriate tow bar for sale?

***** Got a call form some of my guys last summer. Seems they had bid
on and won an M35A2. Only problem was it ran poorly (turned out to be
the turbo). I said sure I'll run out in my chvy S-10 *& pick you guys
up. No, seems they wanted me to come out in my M109A3 & flat tow them
back. About 150-175 miles each way. Ok, so I fire up the truck & head
west from KC. Get ther & they have their nice 5 ton tow bar. We hitch
it up & away we go. Pulled no prob. Mine is a turbo diesel (re-fitted
in '89) & except for the long uphill out of Ft. Riley (had to go down to
3rd gear for a little) it pulled mostly at 45-55 MPH all the way back.
We had a chase vehicle to keep people back, but other than paying for a
lot of axles at the toll booths it went real good.
Last week in middle of Nebraska I found 2 tow bars. One looked home
made (but an ex-army guard type told me it was military), it was to fit 2
1/2 tonners. The other was the same 5 ton one my buddys had. Big, long
heavy. Had the extra stuff to shackle around the front axles (guess in
case the bumper was gone) too. Guy wanted $100 for the little one & $250
for the big one. Probably gonna go back in a couple weeks to get them
both. Any one in the mid-west want the smaller one ? Steve

>===

1953 M38A1 1/4 ton Jeep 1977 M882 5/4 ton
Truck
1962 M37B1 3/4 ton Truck
1968 M274A5 1/2 ton Utility, "mule"
1968 M109A3 2 1/2 ton Shop Van