Re: [MV] GRC 19 install in M38A1 info needed

Tom Norris (badger@telalink.net)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:25:36 -0600

>If this is in a jeep would it not be an AN/MRC 19. I "owned" one of the
>latter in the Ninth Marines on Okinawa. The forward air controller used
>it to talk to his airplanes and I have a picture of it staring Corporal
>Barnhold USMC, one of its operators. If you find a manual I'd like to
>talk about it. Richard.

If it is just the T-195 and R-392, then it is still a GRC-19. If it is part of
a major system of some sort, it will change designations. Usually the
MRC-XXX designation is given to certain transportable configurations.
The GRC-50, stuck 2 or 3 sets together becomes the MRC-102 and 103
for example.

The AN/GRC-19 changes names when put in a shelter with TTY gear and
becomes a GRC-46. The GRC-106 becomes the GRC-122, GRC-142,
VSC-2 and VSC-3 depending on the vehicle and auxiliary gear attached.

Here is a quick and dirty guide to mil comm designations, straight
from Ft Gordon:

----
Nomenclatures:
ABC-123(V)
^^^ ^ ^
||| +------- Model
||+---------- Purpose
|+----------- Type of equipment
+------------ Installation

----
Installations: A - Airborne
B - Underwater
C - Air Transportable
D - Pilotless Carrier
F - Fixed
G - Ground, General
K - Amphibious
M - Ground, Mobile
P - Pack, Portable
S - Water, Surface Craft, Ship
T - Ground, Transportable
U - General, Utility
V - Ground, Vehicular
W - Water, Surface and Underwater
Z - Piloted and Pilotless Airborne
Vehicle Combination

----
Type: A - Invisible Light, Heat, Radiation
B - Pigeon
C - Carrier
D - Radiac
E - Nupac
F - Photographic
G - Telegraph or Teletypewriter
I - Interphone and PA
J - Electromechanical
K - Telemetering
L - Countermeasures
M - Meterological
N - Sound in Air
P - Radar
Q - Sonar
R - Radio
S - Special Types
T - Telephone (Wire)
V - Visual and Visible Light
W - Armament (not otherwise covered)
X - Facsimile or Television
Y - Data Processing

----
Purpose: A - Auxillary Assemblies
B - Bombing
C - Communications
D - Direction Finding
E - Ejection Release
G - Fire Control
H - Recording
L - Searchlight Control
M - Maintenance and Test Assemblies
N - Navigation Aids
P - Reproducing
Q - Special or Combination of Purposes
R - Receiving
S - Detecting Range Bearing
T - Transmitting
W - Control
X - Identification and Recognition
Y - Surveillance (search, detect, and multiple
target tracking) and control (both fire
control and air control)

Please visit The Mil List for info on military communications gear:

HTTP://www.telalink.net/~badger/millist/mi.html

Click on the "Online Manuals..." link for a few
manuals in PDF format. More to be added
as time goes by.

ANY and ALL Contributions Welcome.