Re: [MV] Vehicle names

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:15:03 -0500

"Raimondo L. Torelli" wrote:

> NOW: what is a "Lynx" (spelling?)?

Your spelling is correct. The Lynx is a small Ford of Canada scout car,
3255 of which were manufactured during WW2. It draws heavily on the
British Daimler Dingo in appearance and layout, although mechanically it
is much more conventional (standard 85hp flathead et al). For a good
look at a very nice Lynx, which won Best-of-Show at Beltring this year,
check my site here and scroll down to 'LYNX':

http://www.netwave.ca/~whiskey/mlu/cmparmour.html

> Go to http://home.wxs.nl/~buka/images/bussum989.jpg
> Which is the full correct denomination? Is this a "Lynx"?

No, this is a Daimler Dingo (you'll see another pic on my Lynx page, but
yours is better!)

> Again: http://home.wxs.nl/~buka/images/bussum9718.jpg
> What is it?

This is a BEAUTIFUL Canadian G.M. Otter I Reconnaissance Car! One of
1761 produced at General Motors Oshawa, Ontario (Canada), of which only
a handful remain. Thanks for that pic, I haven't seen that one before!
They weren't really that good, and by 1944, in Northwest Europe, were
generally relegated to convoy escort, etc, but they did see a certain
amount of combat in Italy through 1943. It was powered by the ubiquitous
American 270 ci six-cylinder OHV engine, and that tiny "turret" on top
housed an intrepid gunner with a Bren.

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.netwave.ca/~whiskey/mlu/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~