[MV] Vehicle names

Lars-Uwe Rudek (Rudek@shh-hamburg.de)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:56:05 +0100

Richard and fellow listers / Lars

The German Military has the fine tradition to name their vehicles
after animals, predators, big and small...I quite like that, e.g. (just
some examples):

MBTs (big predator cats)

Panther WWII
Tiger WWII
Koenigs Tiger WWII
Leopard I and II 1970s, 80s and 90s

Variants

Gepard (AA tank on Leo chassis) = (cheetah)
Bieber (Bridge laying Tank on Leo Chassis) = (beaver)

APCs (smaller predator cats and animals)

Puma WWII 8x8
Marder tracked APC and WWII SPG (marten)
Fuchs 6x6 (fox)
Luchs 8x8 (lynx)
Weasel tracked small airportable tank

1/4 to 4x4s (small, fast moving predators)

Munga 1960 s Auto Union (mink)
Iltis 1970s / 80s VW (polecat)
Wolf 1990s Mercedes "G"

Trucks

Elefant tank transporter (selfexplanatory)

So, there is definitely a pattern and the designated names are more or less
indicating the class of vehicle and the application (e.g. the beaver working
near the water , elefant used for transport of heavy stuff, the lynx,
hardly seen
as an animal when hunting, used as recon vehicle, "big cats" for the MBTs and
small, fast animals for the 1/4 to, etc....)

In any case, animal names are fairly common for military equipment
designations throughout the world. Think of all the aircraft as well.
Preybirds...

Just think about the Allied SHERMAN (=Tiger) opposing his German counterpart.
As you know, dogs and cats often do not get along...think of Greyhounds vs.
german cats...he he he

The German Navy also uses them, e.g. SEEHUND (seal) for a WWII midget
submarine and nowadays for a group of remote controled mine sweepers...

EAGLE for the F-15 fighter plane...Funny to note that the F4F of the 60s/70s
is referred to as a RENO...ugly bugger !

>We might, as an interlude in this dark winter for those of us in the northern
>hemisphere, trawl the dictionary and attempt to guess the C name of the
>Challenger replacement.

How about:: canTANKerous Car...he he he

>>look at the products of the worlds car makers. Only Volvo and Mazda
>>seem to persevere with model numbers instead of names.

and Mercedes, and BMW and Peugot and Rover...

There is a big court case between VOLVO and Mercedes going on. The new
VOLVO`s using the "S" 70 etc. and Merc says the "S" is their invention for
ther luxury class vehicles.....well, if that is their only problem....

To add to this exhaustive threat and confusion:

Where did the names "FIREFLY" and "GRIZZLY" originate from for the
Sherman variants ? ? ? ? ?

...as far as M 20 is concerned...did I not hear the name "STAGHOUND"
for it some time ago ??

Lars-Uwe Rudek
MVPA # 14836
MVT # 8119