[MV] BMW R12/Chinese and Russian replicas

Lars-Uwe Rudek (Rudek@shh-hamburg.de)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:28:06 +0100

Antoine wrote:

> and the Russian made military bike M72,
>which has actually been built on BMW tooling seized in Germany
>by the occupying Russian forces and brought back. The Russians
>subsequently made URALS and Dneprs which are civilian versions
>of the military M72 or copies of other BMW models.

...not seized after the war by occupation forces in this case!

Indeed, as far as I know, the transfer of technology and supply of
BMW tooling kits for the older (R 12) military Wehrmacht BMW bikes
were part of a deal between Hitler and Stalin before the Germans started
the war against Russia in 1941 !

>Tim Conover will enlighten you on the merits and reliability of
>this work horse, but don't expect stellar performance, we are
>still dealing with 60-year old flathead technology here..

There are at least two workshops in Germany which have specialized
in "rebuilding" the imported Chineese and Russian BMWs. Bearings
and seals are changed, tolerences checked and pistons changed
for high quality German ones. After that, you will get a new but
rebuilt machine, with a guarantee from the workshop in Germany...

Lars-Uwe Rudek
MVPA # 14836
MVT # 8119
T.E.A.M. # 2