Re: [MV] M38CDN project

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 06:51:56 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: R.S. <rejan@escape.ca>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Saturday, December 04, 1999 12:42 PM

I drove one in the Army briefly in the 1970s. It was the jeep for the
Commanding Officer of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and was fitted
with a Browning M2HB .50 cal machinegun on a pedastel mount, a Browning MMG
C1 (erroneously called a GPMG by the Canadian Armed Forces) 7.62 mm
conversion of M1919A4, and a C42 radio set.

>I am in need of any and all information relating to my 1953 M38CDN, I plan
>on doing a full restoration, but the Jeep is missing the original engine
>(was replaced by a V6 some time ago),
****** We may be able to find some correct engines in British Columbia,
Canada. Where are you located? ???? Canada used three models of M38A1
(yours being the first). Ealiest model had lots of tubes for waterproofing
and I believe later models did not bother.

>quite a bit of the original hardware
>is no longer there, and the whole electrical system (lights, switches,
>wiring) is gone. So I would need to find parts sources to bring this truck
>back to life...
***** Some parts dealers are in Ontario. Military Vehicle Preservation
Association SUPPLY LINE has some listings as do I.

***** YES
> Are there any parts suppliers that carry parts for M38s located in Canada?
(It
****** YES

>Where would be the best place to start looking for the millitary history of
>this particular Jeep. It is an early number built by Ford with a Canadian
>army contract number on it. I am new at this, so any info would be helpful.
***** Contact me offline and I will help you. To answer do NOT click
automatic reply icon, or if you do, delete mil-veh list address and type in
colin@pacdat.net

******* Last M38CDN was built sn F102135 on Nov 27 1952.
The next day, the first M38A1CDN made sn F200001 (I believe) on 11-28-52 and
41 were built that day by Ford Motor Company of Canada.
750 were made, the last 200 of which had short dipsticks.
(ref. Mr. Grieve's research with FMCo).

In 1967-68 Canada purchased 800 M38A1CDN2 jeeps from kaiser in Canada.

In 1970-71 Canada purchased an as yet unknown quantity from the USA.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB