Re: [MV] Status of Humvee Auctions

From: Shane G Deemer (sdeemer@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 10:48:35 PST

I agree with most everything mentioned about the Humvee being destroyed
instead of sold as a bunch of BS. Torwards the end of the M151A2's career,
Jeep/Chrysler had the same thing done to the M151A2s. Rather than being
sold intact, that had to be cut and/or crushed. This is the same thing that
has to be done to the Humvee.

One thing the government has always been good at is giving out excuses as
to why it does or does not do things. Unfortunatly, all the complaining and
whining does not do any good. The only way to get this changed is to write
your congressmen, and hope they will listen. Change with the government is
a very slow thing, and with the way things have been done so far, they'll
probably OK the sale long after the Humvee is obsolete.

This is just a sidebar, unconfirmed obeservation on my part. I recall AM
General was very reluctant to built the first civilian Hummer for
Arnold...it took a lot of convincing and politics to get it done. The
civillian Hummer does take considerable resources for AM General, there's a
lot more involved to them than a military one, as it has more 'comfort
creatures.'

Another question is; who owns the patent/design for the Humvee? In the
past, the DoD designed the vehicles, and contracted different companies to
build them; hence the trouble we've had in the past identifing who build a
particluar M54, (was it Reo, Diamond-T, Mack, International Harvester,
etc?), which impossible to do without a dataplate because the all look the
same on the outside. Perhaps AM General built the civilian version of the
Hummer so they can patent/trademark the design of it, and reduce competition?

--
-Shane