Re: [MV] Status of Humvee Auctions

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 07:25:03 PST

I couldn't keep quiet any longer...

Sherman Tanks... M274 Mechanical Mules... M151A2 Jeeps... Humm-Vees...
All decorate the scrap heaps of America! When I was tracking down
information on the mechanical mule (that I couldn't get) aboard Camp
Pendleton, I talked to a fellow who stated that he and five of his Marines
took six Mules up to a TOW missile range for use as TARGETS! Perfectly
operable vehicles turned into scrap metal, and me trying to by one out of
some misplaced pride in my military and the equipment they use! I would
have been more than willing to buy six scrapped automobile carcasses and
trade them for those mules...

I am so sick and tired of the waste and squabbling that goes on between the
private auto companies and the government! Don't either of these folks
know that the reason somebody is willing to fork out tens of thousands of
dollars for a worn out MV is because of PRIDE? To own an MV that has a
history of service, to recreate the circumstances that brought out the
courage and glory of man's efforts to make the world a better place, that
is the driving factor, not a profit margin!

Were it MY call, and were I the government representative, I would take the
acquisition one step further than it sits now. Before I offered my surplus
vehicles to auction, I would offer my vehicles to: First- Active duty
servicemen (like they did the surplus jeeps in Europe after WW2). Second -
to military vehicle collector's clubs whose mission is to provide some
degree of education to the public. Perhaps I would turn the vehicles over
IN TRUST, so that the vehicle would stay in its military livery, with the
understanding that, should it become either too dilapidated, or interest
died out, THEN it would be returned to the DOD for de-milling or
recycling...

Of course, liability waivers would be signed and such. Heck, I'm sure
something could be arranged! Better than losing a major part of our
military heritage!

Okay, 'nuff said, that my opinion, and I'm done for the time being...

Bill