Re: [MV] Mutt Stuff (Long-winded & boring unless you are a mutt fanatic)

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 08:37:16 PST

In a message dated 06/12/99 15:50:48 GMT Standard Time, b52d@southwind.net
writes:

<< Just curious..... Does anybody out there know of an instance where an M151
of any type has been rolled while in private ownership? >>

In the mid - 70s, a Mutt that was owned in this area, (NW England) was
swapped for, I think, a Dodge WC. The Mutt's new owner (someone from
Birmingham) promptly turned it upside down. The batteries did not have the
holddowns fitted and subsequently dropped onto the battery box cover. It was
fortunate that the sparks did not ignite the leaking fuel. The owner escaped
relatively unscathed from this, but not surprisingly, disposed of his vehicle
within days. I understand that it found its way to an MVCG (Military Vehicle
Conservation Group) member in Norway or Sweden.
I also have details of a law firm in the USA who were (in the 70s) writing to
all and sundry (Ford, Dept of the Army etc) for test reports on the
M151-series. I understand that they were putting together a litigation case
for a client who received head injuries from a rollover. They apparently
wanted to link the accident to the design of the suspension. Unfortunately,
I'm not able to determine whether their client was a civilian owner or a
military driver.
When this subject was last raised, a year or so ago, I seem to remember a few
ex-military personnel reminiscing about their rollover experiences while in
the Forces (their stories should be in the Mil-Veh archives)....... but I
would also be interested in hearing details of any civvie rollover details/
claims/lawsuits etc concerning the M151-series.

Ken