Re: [MV] Mutt Stuff (and HMMWV stuff [and 2.5-ton stuff])

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 22:28:41 PST

"Jason Rose" <m151a1@micron.net> wrote:
> Funny how it always comes to this, but what does 9mm, 30-06, and 44-mag have
> to do with military vehicles?

When I mention to friends, co-workers, etc. that I recently bought an
ex-army 2.5-ton SHOP VAN in a government auction, one of the more
common questions I get is:

  "Did it come with the guns? Huh-huh-huh!"

The obvious and correct answer to that question ("Don't be a
dumb-@$$!") isn't taken very well, so I generally stifle a groan, and
explain how my truck was a MOBILE REPAIR SHOP, not a combatant
vehicle, and if there's a hint of understanding (as opposed to more
Beavis/Butthead-like chuckling, comments about how it would be "cool
for driving around in downtown LA", or similar evidence of cerebral
vacancy), I then further explain how the majority of vehicles and
personnel in the military mainly move people and supplies around, and
how most green vehicles aren't mobile assault platforms.

The average guy on the street just doesn't have a tiny sliver of a
clue about the military!

Sorry, folks, I just had to vent a bit. :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/