Re: [MV] Amtrac/DUKW

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 10:41:59 PST

Shawn wrote:
>I know of a man with a circa-WWII "Buffalo" here in
>Southeast Michigan. It's parked in front of his gun
>shop near a rotted-out DUKW...........

     That DUKW is reportedly the last one made! The fellow who owns it is
a friend of mine and the last time I was by the shop I jotted down the SN#.
 Interesting to note that this DUKW has CARDBOARD data plates!! Except for
the main SN# plate, all the rest are cardboard with a plastic type coating.
They came this way from the factory. This is not the only one I have seen
with these plates. Another fellow here in Michigan has the same type plates
on his DUKW. When he made reproduction cardboard plates for his duck
everyone told him they were wrong and that they never used cardboard!

Couple more privately owned LVT-4's come to mind;
    Dave McGillvery (probably spelled wrong) has one in North Carolina and
Sam Werner in Tenn. has a rough one.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA